Today we live in a world where technology grows exponentially. Hardly a day passes where we don’t shake our heads in astonishment. However, with progress comes opportunity – often times of the nefarious sort.
In Part One of our two-part story, we discussed electronic bank fraud, the recent interest the NSA has in our internet activity and a Midwest city whose police department is sponsoring the use of I.D. Scanners in nightclubs and bars and how their ownership and opportunistic manipulation of the data may be infringing on our constitutional rights, inching us closer to an Orwellian ‘Big Brother’ totalitarian state.
Who is the I.D. Scanning Technology Leader for Nightclubs and Bars? TTI Technologies
Based in New York City, with offices throughout the U.S. and India, TTI Technologies (TTI) is the leader in the scanning technology industry. TTI (@ttitechnologies) has been providing scanning and software solutions for hotels, resorts and airports since 1991:
- TTI’s ‘microFIDS’ software enables business travelers can check flight information before leaving their hotel.
- From expedited check-in solutions at hotels, to protection against false chargeback claims, TTI has established itself as a cornerstone to the hospitality industry.
- TTI’s ‘Scan2PMS’ technology instantly captures guest data from driver’s licenses and passports by hotels in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and in many countries throughout the world. Scan2PMS is a customized application that utilizes Optical Character Recognition (OCR) to capture relevant information from ID’s and interface the data from those fields to a client’s database. A digital image of the entire ID or the facial photograph can also be extracted.
TTI Offers I.D. Scanning Solutions for Nightclubs and Bars
With their long success in the hospitality industry, TTI’s Tim Doxzon, VP of Sales told me that his company recently developed a product that meets the specific needs of the nightclub and bar industry, called ‘Scan2Club’. Scan2Club is not a scanner – it is a software solution:
- It can scan a driver’s license, ID, passport or business card and send the information into the TTI-hosted database or a club’s database.
- The resulting encrypted database file reduces paper waste, while providing a secure environment for storing and locating the ID when needed.
- The password-protected database can be searched by the last 4 digits of the credit card, name, address etc.
- TTI’s Scan2Club is designed to reduce fraud, under age admissions and to help you validate patronage.
- Scan2Club can be designed to reduce fraud, if a person is underage, if the ID is expired, and depending on the database functionality, if a person is a blacklisted or a favored patron.
- If a club has numerous locations and uses a common database, the ‘blacklisted / favored patron’ information would be shared among the clubs.
Casinos are already using Scan2Club for all blacklisted and favored patrons, as well as checking for ID validation.
Chargebacks: The Dreaded Enemy of Nightclubs and Bars
Have you ever had a big-spending customer with convenient memory? You’ve heard the story (or lived it) of the high-roller who runs-up a $5,000 tab at a club and then tells the credit card company (and his wife) that he was never there. The next thing you know, you have a $5,000 chargeback with the merchant processor. For the nightclub or bar owner who fails to have the chargeback reversed, the risk is far greater than the monetary loss. Not only do you run the risk of having your merchant processing privileges revoked, but neither the club nor any of its principals can acquire merchant processing for five years*.Many properties use ID Scanning to fight chargebacks from credit card companies. Some of TTI’s clients been able to fight numerous chargebacks because they can pull an ID from the hosted database when they get a chargeback and respond to the chargeback with the ID photo, time and date stamp and the signed credit card receipts. This unequivocally proves that the person using the credit card presented an ID that had a matching signature and name.
TTI Now Has Mobile Solutions
TTI recently introduced the new ‘SCAN2MOBI’ mobile technology, which allows a nightclub or bar to use an iPhone or iPad to scan a driver’s license or passport, which is then stored in a database. The above photo depicts the Scan2Mobi iPad app. Although SCAN2MOBI is brand new to nightclubs and bars, TTI actually developed the app at the request of a number of New York nightclubs that desire the ability to use mobile devices to handle long lines. Mobile check-ins are something that hotels are slowly moving toward so guests will no longer need to stand in lines in their lobbies.
TTI Technologies: Turnkey Scanning Solutions for Nightclubs and Bars
Although TTI has established itself as a software company, more importantly, they have the recognition as the leader in scanning system solutions. By providing hardware as a licensee of the major manufacturers of scanning equipment, such as:
- AssureTec (@AssureTec)
- CSSN (@id_scanners)
Whether it’s a mobile or front-desk application you need, TTI Technologies can provide your nightclub or bar with a turnkey scanning solution to meet your needs.
Our mission at Design Buzz isn’t just about today’s products for nightclub and bar owners – it’s about everything that impacts their business.If you have any questions or comments, please add them below. Please feel free to suggest other topics of interest.
We Work International Customers
If your bar or nightclub application is outside the U.S., we'd be delighted to work with you! We're familiar with the metric system and can furnish you with the appropriate plans and specifications for construction. With our web-conferencing and Basecamp 24 x 7 project management system, we're fully capable of servicing your needs. Please click here to learn more about our methods.
Call Us For Your Next Design Project
Our standard bar design service includes all construction plans and equipment layouts. We would be happy to assist any stripclub, night club, or bar owner who would like to incorporate time-proven design ideas into your venue. Please feel free to contact us.
Most Popular Articles
* According to a published report “Is This Man You Best New Customer? Or Your Club’s Worst Nightmare?” in the May 2011 edition of Exotic Dancer Magazine